10/20/2013

Moving on

By the way, the batteries in the previous blog post were all shot, I got them up to 12.5V but they would quickly discharge to 11V, I tried everything.

Well, winter's knocking on the door and I'm slowly beginning work on Probe. Since I haven't got any money to spend for a month or two I'll start with the "free" stuff. I'm trying to fix all flaws I found while driving the car during summer, which would be;

- The exhaust back end was sitting too low, it was almost resting on the crossmember in rear
- The catalysator seems to be clogged, and needs to changed. Choices are cat delete pipe or racing catalysator
- The rear bumper lip is melting from the exhaust fumes
- The exhaust header doesn't have a heatshield and I believe it's partially the reason why the engine bay is super lava hot (can't even touch the hood when the engine is fully warmed up)

Here we are washing the underbody, I do it every year before I bring it in. Thats why it looks so good after all these years, I think. ;)



Looking good. Here you can see the old exhaust hanger on top of the rear crossmember.



Here's the new one I fabricated, so thats one thing off the list. Works great, now there's just the right amount of space all around for the pipe to come over.


Here I'm repairing the bumper problem. I'm thinking of building an aluminium heat shield there so that this would never happen again. You can't really see it in this picture, but the exhaust tip is too far inside the bumper which is partially causing the problem. However, since the tip is fixed as you can see there's not much I can do about it.

So if you are going to build your own exhaust, I highly recommend to buy the type of exhaust back box where you can put some pipe and choose the tip yourself


In other news, I'm going to be employed in about a month so later this year should be more interesting. Also the rear seats are almost done, just some final adjustments.

Also, I made a great find today which means a lot for my Probe. This company moves stuff from US to Finland for very cheap prices; http://www.finn-us.com/ . You set up your own US post address where you can order to from most USA online stores. The prices are so cheap because the stuff sails on a ship so the delivery takes a long time, but I don't mind. This means I can order big items like bumpers and rare items from all the shops out there (most of them don't ship to Finland) easy and relatively cheap, will totally test this out later on! Also I google'd about and saw only positive comments from this company so it should be all good.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti